Hispanic Heritage Month begins soon, and Wellington and the Palm Beach County Library System are offering events to celebrate.
According to the Library of Congress, Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 each year to honor the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens with ancestors from the Caribbean, Mexico, Spain and Central and South America.
The observation dates back to 1968, when it began as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson. President Ronald Reagan expanded it to a month in 1988.
“The day of Sept. 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua,” the Library of Congress said. “In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on Sept. 16 and Sept. 18, respectively. Also, Columbus Day or Día de la Raza, which is Oct. 12, falls within this 30-day period.”
Wellington Hispanic Heritage Night
When: 5 to 10 p.m. Sept. 16.
Where: Wellington Amphitheater, 12100 Forest Hill Blvd., Wellington.
Live Music: At 8 p.m., Mikey’s Hotswing Latin Band will perform.
Food Trucks: CrepStick, Eskinita Spanish Gourmet, Giovanni’s Gourmet Italian Ice, Libation Nation, The Shrimp King, Tulum Taco Shop.
Vendors: Coconut Bar, Dotty Unlimited, Friends of Foster Children, Hispanic Human Resources Council, JayGo Painting, Latinos in Action Clubs, Maha Town, Mickie’s Creations, New American Funding, Palm Beach County Clerk and Comptroller, Pepe’s “Hey Babe” BBQ, Remax Prestige, Rise Dance Studio.
Latinos in Action Clubs: Clubs from local high schools will present and dance on stage, while providing information at their respective booths. Schools include: Wellington High School, Palm Beach Central High School, Forest Hill High School, Santaluces High School and Dr. Joaquín García High School.
More information: Click here
Palm Beach County Library Events
The Palm Beach County Library System is offering a range of events at each branch to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. Below is a selection. Click here for a full list of events, including some events where registration is full.
- Papel Picado Craft, 4 to 4:45 p.m. Sept. 14, Greenacres Branch, 3750 Jog Road. Registration required: Click here
- Bilingual Storytime with ¿De dónde eres? by Yamile Saied Méndez, 10 to 11 a.m. Sept. 15, Belle Glade Branch, 725 N.W. 4th St.
- Dominoes Meet, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 17, Greenacres Branch, 3750 Jog Road.
- Latin Flavor Cooking Demo “Chicken Flautas,” 11 a.m. to noon Sept. 19, online event. Registration required: Click here
- Magical Family Movie Night with “Encanto” (PG), 6 to 7:45 p.m. Sept. 20, Acreage Branch, 15801 Orange Blvd. Registration required: Click here
- Read, Watch, Listen: Hispanic Heritage Month Edition, 2 to 3 p.m. Sept. 21, online event. Registration required: Click here
- Amate Painting (Mexican folk art), 3 to 4 p.m. Sept. 21, Main Library, 3650 Summit Blvd., West Palm Beach. Registration required: Click here
- Hispanic Heritage: Make an Alebrije, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 21, Lantana Road Branch, 4020 Lantana Road. Registration required: Click here
- Contenido: Afro-Latinidad (discover cultural contributions of Afro-Latinx artists), 2 to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 23, Okeechobee Boulevard Branch, 5689 Okeechobee Blvd. Registration required: Click here
- ¡Cuentos y Canciones! Hora de Cuentos Bilingüe/Stories and Songs! Bilingual Storytime, 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Sept. 25, West Boynton Branch, 9451 Jog Road. Registration required by midnight Sept. 24: Click here
- Coloring Club for Kids, 3 to 4 p.m. Sept. 25, West Boynton Branch, 9451 Jog Road. Registration required: Click here
- Portrait Party (for ages 8-12, paint your own portraits), 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Sept. 25, Royal Palm Beach Branch, 500 Civic Center Way. Registration required: Click here
- Let’s Play Lotería, 2 to 3 p.m. Sept. 27, Acreage Branch, 15801 Orange Blvd. Registration required: Click here
- Flamenco Performance, 2 to 3 p.m. Oct. 1, Acreage Branch, 15801 Orange Blvd. Registration required, opens Sept. 17: Click here
- Lotería and Stories (for ages 6 and older), 11 a.m. to noon Oct. 7, Hagen Ranch Road Branch, 14350 Hagen Ranch Road, Delray Beach. Registration required, opens Sept. 23: Click here
- Amazing Alebrijes, 4 to 5 p.m. Oct. 12, Okeechobee Boulevard Branch, 5689 Okeechobee Blvd. Registration required, opens Sept. 28: Click here
- Flamenco Demonstration & Dance Instruction, 2 to 3 p.m. Oct. 15, Wellington Branch, 1951 Royal Fern Dr. Registration required, opens Oct. 1: Click here
SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!
Get on the list now for my free Weekly Wellington Mom newsletter, delivered to your inbox every Wednesday with the latest news and things to do in Wellington and the surrounding area.